LIFE INDESAL works with seawater to relieve the pressure on high use of groundwater. Reverse Osmosis (RO) desalination plants (DPs), the leading desalination technology globally, can remove salts and other ions and molecules from the water, making it suitable for potable, agricultural and industrial uses.
- Obtaining high quality freshwater via desalination
- Generating renewable energy from brines
- Decreasing energy requirements of the desalination process
- Recovering and valorising resources from brines
- Designing and demonstrating an innovative integrated and circular desalination scheme
- Enabling the utilisation of LIFE INDESAL results to maximise long-term research impacts
LIFE INDESAL project will provide an innovative technological configuration for seawater reverse osmosis desalination plants. This novel solution will improve the efficiency and sustainability of the desalination process by producing high-quality water, with lower energy demand and valorising desalination by-products. This will catalyse the transition to a circular resilient economy and protect and improve the quality of the EU’s natural resources.
- Enabling meeting the future water demand
- Reducing the pressure on ground and surface waters, alleviating water stress
- Contributing towards a more environmentally friendly desalination process
- Contributing to the EU’s resource-efficient and competitive economy
- Enabling the EU’s climate neutrality objectives implementation by 2050
- Decoupling economic growth from resource use